School can be a very stressful and time-consuming experience. Between my classes, labs, making time for studying, finishing all my projects, and any extra events it seems that there is hardly any time to balance anything else, such as work, friends, family, and even extra activities such as working out. I know between everything going on, it feels like there is not enough time to do anything else in my life. That is before I realized that it wasn’t everything that was thrown my way that was consuming my time, but the fact that my time managing skills were lacking. I didn’t know how to organize my time wisely with everything that I have had to do. I had to realize that organization is key for success for the rest of my time here. I have learned a trick to help keep my life organized.
The trick is writing down an outline of everything I have to do throughout the week by keeping a detailed outline for each hour of the day. For an example, a typical Tuesday consists of:
- waking up and going to class for 8am-12pm
- 12pm-1pm lunch break I sit aside and finish any assignments while eating lunch
- 1pm-3pm I finish class
- 3pm-430pm I go and have a stress relieved workout for the day
- 430pm-6pm I go home and have a few minutes for myself, eat dinner, and do something for me to take my mind away from school
- 6pm-8pm I study any new material that was learned throughout the day
- 8pm-9pm I review everything for the upcoming exam
- 9pm-10pm I get ready for bed and go to sleep
Making this outline for each day of the week and accommodating it for the events that need to be accomplished will keep my procrastination under control and keep me on track to finishing everything that I need to get done by a certain time and date. Also, I can leave time for family and friends and keep it within a certain time period and allow myself to decompress while being effective. This strategy has greatly helped me since I have started this, it had decreased my stress, anxiety, and the general feeling of being overwhelmed. This has specifically been projected onto my exam scores and I have been passing with flying colors all while being relaxed and stress-free.
-Jacqueline, student scholar